Friday, January 23, 2015

Topics of Week 2

Title: Wolfs & Foxes
Comments: My whole life, I have loved all types of animals and feel a strong connection with them. Out of the animal kingdom, the two that always strike me are wolfs and foxes. Foxes are my favorite animals but I also love the look of wolfs as well as their mysteriousness and protectiveness  
Possible Stories: Since Wolfs are very acknowledgeable animals for centuries, I know I will find many from different cultures but I don’t know if it will be as easy to find stories about foxes. Looking online, I was able to find tons of stories on wolfs and even found one so that both animals are in the story.
Sample Story: I chose the story the Wolf and the Fox for many reasons and one being the title. But the story is also compelling. When I talk to people about animals, people say that wolfs tend to be wise and held in such a high standard. But foxes get little credit. Because foxes get little credit, I am glad that this fox was acknowledged for his keenness and slyness. Therefore, the fox is the wise one.
Bibliography information:  
Sample Story: The Wolf and The Fox 
Book Title: Household Tales
Book Author: Jakob and Wilhelm Grimm
Year: 1812

Title: The Hang Man
Comments: A big passion of mine is horror movies as well as stories. Ironically, I am a huge chicken but scary stories, movies or documentaries are my guilty pleasure. I can’t get enough of them!
Possible Stories: Since I am a huge fan in this genre, I know that there are tons of options to choose from.  
Sample Story: I was able to find a story from one of the links provided in the instructions. It is a true story that just leaves the reader’s skin crawling! A robber was shot in 1911 and from then till 1977 his dead corpse was used in many attractions around the world
Bibliography information:
Sample Story: Cowboy Outlaw 
Book Title: Tells The Story
Book Author: Brian Dewan
Year: 1993


Title: Native American
Comments: Another interest of mine is Native American culture. I love listening to chants from different tribes while I meditate or just to listen to it while I am studying. I would like to learn more about their folklore and culture as well.
Possible Stories: While knowing some about the culture, I know that Native Americans have many tales that have told for centuries. With that knowledge, I know I can find something of interest.
Sample Story: I found a story about a coyote and a bear, which are very famous animals in Native American stories. The coyote and bear work together with crops and fishing but the wise bear just makes a fool out of the gullible coyote.
Bibliography information: 
Sample Story: The Coyote and the Bear 
Book Title: Pueblo Indian Folk-Stories   
Book Author: Charles F. Lummis  
Year: 1910


Title: Lions
Comments: At home, I have two cats of my own that I treat like my babies. Even though I have love for both dogs and cats, cats are my favorite since they seem wise and independent. I feel like lions are just big jungle cats, so I really like them.
Possible Stories: There are plenty of stories about lions in legends and myths but I have yet to really look into it. I just recently became interested in Lions from a friend of mine.
Sample Story: The story is about a woman who stole a cup from a rabbit. After the lion heard this, he hunted the woman and killed her but left her skin. Thus, the lion wore the skin and went back to her village. Once the villagers found out, they set the lion on fire and regrew the woman from the heart.
Bibliography information: 
Book Title: South African Folk-Tales
Book Author: James Honey

Year: 1910

No comments:

Post a Comment