Saturday, January 17, 2015

Reading Diary A: Ovid’s Metamorphoses I

My favorite story from the first unit of Ovid’sMetamorphoses I is the story of Phaethon. Before reading the story, I remember who the sun god was from taking Greek Mythology in high school but I never read this full story. Once they introduced Phaethon I was upset that he needed evidence on who is father was to show it off to his friends. Personally, I think that you don't have to see to believe but that's just me. Because he wanted to prove to his friends that he was indeed the son of the sun god, he went to find his father. After meeting his father, Phoebus, for a few seconds Phaethon seemed quick with his demands and requested to take the chariot on a spin. Phoebus warned him that it was a bad idea but he had already said he would give his son anything for his proof so the sun god reluctantly let him ride the chariot. In the sky, Phoebus looses control after seeing the huge Scorpio and let’s go of the reins on the horses and falls to his death. This causes a chain reaction which led to the earth catching on fire and chaos in the heavens. His sisters then turn into poplar trees while Phaethons friend, Cycnus, turned into a swan. While they are transforming, all the gods get really mad at Phoebus. But Pheobus is blaming other people for his sons death and ends up taking his anger out at the gods. 

No comments:

Post a Comment