Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Week 11 Storytelling: Lost in Wonderland

Alice and Courtney were the closest of friends and did everything together especially going on adventures. The two girls always loved to venture from others and find their own fun. One day, there was an adventure that they would never forget because it was so weird
A few weeks ago, the girls walked along the desired path in their favorite forest while they talked about their days and other small talk until they came across a new path that was branched off from their own. It caught their attention and decided to follow it down into the deeper part of the woods.
They noticed something peculiar when they saw a white rabbit in the distance because it was running toward them form the opposite end of the path. The two continued to walk forward, towards it. It puzzled both the girls because they had never seen a rabbit attract to humans. Once the rabbit was in site, the two could see that the rabbit not only started to run on it's two hind legs but also was wearing a suit and carried a pocket watch in his front right paw.
During the time the rabbit passed between the two girls, he said, “I’m late, I’m late!” After he spoke his final word, the two girls looked at one another and everything around them turned black and they began to fall into a hole in the ground. Once they landed, they noticed they landed on a bed of red playing cards that were the same size as the girls.
 Once they got up from the ground of cards, they looked around to see that they were in a different place. The flowers began to move as well as the trees and it even looked like they had faces on them. Terrified, the girls ran the opposite direction and ran into a caterpillar that sat on top a mushroom in the middle of the forest.
 The mushroom and the caterpillar were bigger than both of the girls. Something really strange, thought the girls, was the fact that the caterpillar was smoking a hooka. After he was aware of the girls, he slowly raised himself up from lying down to face the two. As he spoke, his words would spell out in the air by the smoke that escaped his mouth.
“Who are you?” He waited for their reply but they were too stunned by the talking and smoking caterpillar that they found themselves speechless. The caterpillar sighed, for he grew impatient. “You shouldn’t be here,” he continued, “you need to leave. Quickly, leave behind the mushroom.”
Without hesitation, the girls followed the caterpillar’s suggestion and went around the mushroom. Once behind the mushroom, they found a hole in the ground that looked like it was slowly closing up so they decided to jump in as fast as they could.

The two then popped out of a hole in the ground and found themselves on their normal path in the woods. Ever since that day, they two girls refrain from going into the forest.
Down the Rabbit Hole by John Tenniel (1865).
Author's Note: I used a story from Alice in Wonderland called Advice from a Caterpillar to form my own story. I used the same character name, Alice, and the life size caterpillar smoking hooka on a big mushroom. I also used a phrase the caterpillar said in the original story, "who are you", and the rabbit's phrase "I'm late, I'm late" since I thought it fit in that part of my story. The rest of the story I made up keeping in mind the theme of the original story. 

3 comments:

  1. I thought your rendition of Advice from a Caterpillar was so fun this week. Even though you kept a lot of aspects from the original story, the way you retold yours made it seems really original and unique so great job! I thought the title of your story was intriguing as well; it made me want to find out more. This was also one of my favorite original stories from the Alice in Wonderland unit, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! I really enjoyed reading your version of Alice and Wonderland. The choice to make it Advice from a Caterpillar was a cool idea and seemed to work perfectly. I liked how you added another girl, Courtney, to the story because it makes the events seem more plausible. You did a great job of summarizing a lot of the parts from the original version and I liked how you made this experience the reason the girls never go into the forest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey,

    This is like the third story that I have read about Wonderland. I am actually happy about it. Like I told a different classmate, I am not familiar with Alice. I have taken the time to watch the movie but I am not sure that it is similar to the original. Overall, you did a great job with this story. Keep up the good work. I think it would have been easier to read, if the paragraphs were spaced.

    ReplyDelete