Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Essay: The Chinese Fairy Tales

To be honest, I had a lot of questions in many of the stories in The Chinese Fairy Tales unit. I felt as though the stories were too short and lacked or withheld information that would have been useful to understand the stories. For example the story The Cave of the Beast was ambiguous with information. The husband dropped off the children in the forest because his wife gave some of the children eggs that he wanted to only keep between him and the wife. The story should have explained why he got so mad at the children because, in my opinion, he should have gotten mad at the wife and not the children. Also, why did he take them into the woods? Maybe he had anger issues or there was chaos in the home with the children. The author might have intended to beat around the bush because he wanted the reader to read the story with an open mind. Regardless, the story left me questioning what was really going on.

My favorite story from this unit would be the Fox-Fire story. The story drew me in at first because of the title since foxes are my favorite animals. Also, I am writing my storybook over the journey of a fox so reading this story gave me more a cultured insight of a fox, which could be useful for me in the future. I think this was my favorite story because not only was there a clear moral but also there was a fox in it (I know I am obsessed, haha). The farmer stole the fireball, elixir of life, and ate it. The fox angrily walked away only to come back and obtain his fireball until the farmer reached old age and retired from helping others and receiving all the wealth. I think it is nice that even though the farmer stole something from the fox, the fox let him have it for years until the farmer received his riches. The fox just patted his back to take his ball back and walked away without fighting him. This shows me that the fox is not only a cunning and mysterious creature, he is also wise and patient.
FoxFires by Chikanobu Toyohara (1898)

No comments:

Post a Comment