Monday, April 13, 2015

Reading Diary A: Grimm


For this weeks reading, I chose the Grimm (LibriVox) unit because I wanted to read about Sleeping Beauty and The Frog Prince. I also wanted to try the audio book version to see if I would like it better. I listened to the audio recording of the story while I followed along. The only problem was, was that I felt like I was reading faster than the recording. I grew too impatient to continue the audio and just stuck with reading it.  Regardless of the audio, I thought the stories were great and a nice refresher to the knowledge I retained as a child when I read books over fairy tales like these. I was very happy to re-read The Frog Prince because the story was nothing like I remembered. Before reading this story, I thought that the prince was a frog and he needed a kiss from a Princess to break the spell to turn him back into a human. I was so wrong because the Prince didn’t need a kiss from the princesses, he needed to sleep in her bed and eat off her plate for a few nights to then break the spell. I am glad that the King told the Princess to keep her word that she would help the frog since he helped her get her ball form the pond; it only seemed fair. And if she did continue to refuse him into her home, then she wouldn’t have found such a handsome Prince to marry.
Frog4 by Walter Crane (1874).

1 comment:

  1. It looks like you ended up reading something a little similar to what I read this week. My unit also had stories that were different takes on fairy tales, such as Sleeping Beauty. Of course, in mine, they all had different names and a little bit different of a storyline. I'm sorry that the audio wasn't quite what you expected. I personally like listening to audios of books, but if it was too slow I would probably get impatient too.

    ReplyDelete