Monday, April 13, 2015

Reading Diary B: Grimm


The reason why I chose Grimm (LibriVox) unit for this weeks reading was because I wanted to read about The Frog Prince and also Sleeping Beauty. But upon reading these stories, I also came upon another that I really enjoyed which is called The Fox and the Horse. Not only did the title draw me in, but also the fact that the fox was so nice and helpful. Sometimes, foxes can be depicted as sly and conniving in a bad way so I was happy to read a story, other than my other storytelling, that a fox can have be sly and conniving for the greater good. In this story, the fox helped the weak and skinny horse that got kicked out of his stable by his farmer because he had no use for a horse so weak. After he was kicked off the farm, the horse ran into a fox that was able to help him prove to the farmer that he is still strong. So the fox tricked a lion to lie down next to the horse, who was pretending to play dead so the lion thought he was able to eat him, so that he was able to tie his legs together then tie him to the horse so that the horse was able to drag the lion to the farmer. When the farmer saw his horse drag in a lion behind him, he let the horse stay with him. I also liked how, at the end, the fox never asked for a favor in return. He just wanted to help a random stranger.
Horse Frightened by a Lion by George Stubbs (1770).

No comments:

Post a Comment