Thursday, April 16, 2015

Essay: Brothers Grimm

       The unit I chose to read this week was the Brothers Grimm (LibriVox). I was drawn to this particular unit because I really wanted to read the familiar stories of Sleeping Beauty and The Frog Prince. I am glad I re-read these stories because I thought the story of The Frog Prince was completely different from the original. I thought that true loves first kiss would break the frog spell in order to make the prince human again. In the actual story, the only way to break the curse was to have the frog eat from the same plate as the princess and sleep in bed with her. I understand why the story did not revolve around true loves first kiss because than it is a short story and finding true love can be hard. For example, what if the prince did not fall in love with the princess and but the more time he spent with her, the more he would grow to love her and then the spell would be broken when they kissed.  So if true loves first kiss was the only way to break the spell, I could see how that would elongate the story.
       When I chose this unit, I thought that all the stories would be familiar fairy tale stories but I read some that I had never heard of. There was a story called The Fox and the Horse that was about a horse who was left by his owner because he was too skinny and old to work. The fox met the horse as he was leaving the farm and decided to help him. He told the horse to lay down and pretend to be dead while he tricked a lion, telling him there was a dead horse. When the lion got there, however, the fox told the lion to pretend to be dead so he could tie him up then tie him to the horse’s tail. Once the horse finally dragged the angry lion back to the farm, the owner kept the horse. 
Snow White by Anne Anderson (1874-1930).

No comments:

Post a Comment